Engelmann Spruce is a spruce species that is indigenous to British Columbia. It is an evergreen conifer with a dense, but narrow spire-shaped crown. Its oil is known for its purifying properties yet is also emotionally grounding. In fact, some have said that if this oil did not remedy the respiratory complaint, then no other substance would. Its oil can be described as having a soft, balsamic and resinous aroma with subtle fruity notes.
Benefits, Uses and Directions
- This essential oil has frequently been used to help with respiratory issues, such as coughing, tuberculosis, etc., because of its high levels of delta-limonene
- This oil assists with powerful emotional release, likely due to the combination of monoterpenes e.g. pinenes, limonene, myrcene, beta-phellandrene, etc.
- Has been shown to be alleviate muscular aches and pains
- Has been implicated in improving the immune system
- Add a few drops of Engelmann Spruce oil into a diffuser for a breath of fresh air
- Dilute Engelmann Spruce oil with a carrier oil to 1-2% and apply to the area. For more guidance on essential oil dilution, please visit our Essential Oil Dilutions page.
- Add one or two drops of Engelmann Spruce oil to your body care products to impart a desirable aroma
- Dilute to 1-2% for an amazing fabric or room spray
- Dilute to 1-2% in a massage oil for an amazing experience
- Even small amounts of this oil impart subtle fruit-like notes that enhance the overall experience in a blend (see Mountain Blend)
- Engelmann Spruce oil can be blended with Ponderosa Pine, Western Red Cedar and Big Sagebrush to create the pinnacle of purification (see Pure Air blend)
- Consult with a qualified aromatherapy practitioner or your physician prior to using essential oils with children, the elderly, pregnant or nursing women, and those with medical issues or are taking medications
- Always dilute essential oils prior to use.
- Do not apply any essential oils internally, eyes, inner ears and other sensitive areas, even if diluted