Ponderosa Pine is a medium to large evergreen conifer that is distributed in the central-south areas of both the Pacific and Cordilleran regions of Western North America. This Indigenous people of BC were very familiar with this tree as they used the seeds and inner bark as a source of food. Ponderosa pine oil has a pleasant pine aroma with subtle balsamic, woody and citrus-like hints. This oil is quite versatile as it is associated with purification, soothing and being emotionally uplifting.
Benefits, Uses and Directions
- This oil is a great choice for helping to alleviate respiratory concerns, restoring normal breathing and soothing sore throats due to its high monoterpene content
- Delta-3-carene, a notable component of this oil, has been observed to reduce the feeling of dry airways
- This oil helps with improving mood by reducing feelings of anxiety and stress due to its high beta-Pinene content
- This oil has been said to be emotionally comforting, most likely due to the combination of pinenes and delta-3-carene
- Add a few drops of Ponderosa Pine oil into a diffuser to alleviate respiratory concerns and stress
- Dilute Ponderosa Pine oil with a carrier oil to 1-2% and apply to the area. For more guidance on essential oil dilution, please visit our Essential Oil Dilutions page.
- Add one or two drops of Ponderosa Pine oil to your body care products to impart a desirable aroma
- Dilute to 1-2% for an amazing fabric or room spray
- Dilute to 1-2% in a massage oil for an amazing experience
- Ponderosa Pine oil can be blended with Engelmann Spruce, Western Red Cedar and Big Sagebrush to create the pinnacle of purification (see Pure Air blend)
- This oil also blends well with other pine oils (e.g. Lodgepole Pine oil)
- Ponderosa Pine has a moderate to high delta-3-carene content, which has the potential to cause respiratory irritation; therefore, diffuse for short periods of time only.
- Consult with a qualified aromatherapy practitioner or your physician prior to using essential oils with children, the elderly, pregnant or nursing women, and those with medical issues or are taking medications
- Always dilute essential oils prior to use.
- Do not apply any essential oils internally, eyes, inner ears and other sensitive areas, even if diluted